Nail art is a creative way to paint, decorate, enhance, and embellish the nails. It is a type of artwork that can be done on fingernails and toenails, usually after manicures or pedicures. The exact origin of nail treatments is unclear, since it appears to have originated in different parts of the world around the same time.
Techniques & Tools needed for Nail Art:
Manicurists start with the same techniques as for the manicure or pedicure:
- Acrylics: a chemical mixture of monomer liquid and polymer powder that can be directly applied on the nails or on artificial nails also called nails extensions or enhancements.
- Nail gel: a chemical combination similar to acrylics, also known as shellac nails. Manicurist applies several layers on the fingernails or/and toenails and lets it cure under a UV or LED light. When the gel is cured it hardens the nails. Gel is also common in a polish form known as gel polish, and, like other forms of gel, also requires a UV or LED light to cure. The difference between acrylic and gel is that acrylic dries naturally but gel needs UV light to cure. Similarly, where regular nail polish will dry naturally, gel polish will remain tacky until cured by a UV light.
- Nail polish/Nail varnish: a lacquer applied to finger and toe nails to protect or as a base color. Nail manicurists also use a base coat to protect and strengthen nails, as well as preventing the natural nail from yellowing or staining.
Several options are available for decorating nails:
- Nail art pens
- Water marbling
- Adding accessories
- Studs, rhinestones, miniature plastic bow-ties, beads, and aluminum foil
- Acrylic powder for 3D art. The powder used for 3D acrylic nail art is a polymer powder which is used with a monomer liquid to create designs.
To decorate the nails, manicurist use several tools such as:
- Nail dotters, also known as “dotting tools”
- Nail art brushes
- Stationery tape/ stickers
- Thin, colored striping tape
- Sponges (for gradient effects)
Nail art Gallery:
Sunny and bright nail art for a bright beach party
Coconut Trees nail art
Shape of the illuminated (sunlit) portion of the Moon
Love mathematic & Geometry? This is the nail art for you.
Some ideas on starter kits for nail arts from amazon
A good organizer also makes sense to store all you fashion accessories. Here is one that I bought.